Double Cut Seminar
- Double Cut Seminar - TBD
March 1, 2025
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Who is this course for
This workshop is designed for individuals who are intermediate to advanced chainsaw operators. Recommended for individuals who are looking to apply for IHC (Hotshots) helitech smoke jumper or professional timber felling for wildland fire contracting. (Faller 2 / Faller 1/ Professional Timber Feller)
For everyone’s safety, you are required to prove skill level and be approved to take this course prior to registration.
What to expect
Duration: Three day seminar
- Day 1 is a 5-6 hour in-class covering timber felling refresh, large tree double cutting, and fire weakened timber.
- Day 2 is 6 hours of felling refinement and large tree double cutting in the field.
- Day 3 is 6 hours of felling refinement and large tree double cutting in the field.
- Field manual (Limit one per season) – Complete Edition of The Art of Felling Timber
- Team felling and team communications.
- Ask about certifications availability (Type 1 or C chainsaw certifications available upon request only).
Prerequisite *Qualifications and Training:
- Preauthorization from the Art of Felling Timber.
- Faller 2 (min 3 yrs experience)
- Professional Tree-cutting Contracting Work (min 3 years experience)
- Must be in good physical condition.
- We will be going over the protocol for C-19 on day one.
- If you’ve been sick within the past month, or don’t feel good, PLEASE DON’T COME!
- You MUST bring and wear a mask.
What to bring
Field days of Thursday and Friday will be in the woods, for approximately 9-10 hours per day. Pack lunches and water; it won’t be available in cutting locations.
Pack (PP&E) Gear: Mask, Helmet, Gloves, Eye Protection, Ear Protection, Boots, Cutting Chaps (will have some chaps on site) / kevlar inserts / approved chainsaw cutting pants, long-sleeve shirts, Chainsaw (will have some saws on site), Felling Axe, and Wedges (some wedges will be on site).
Chainsaws should be maintained, have factory tools, sharp chain, minimum bar length of 32 inches, and maximum bar length of 36 inches. Have fuel and bar oil; some will be on site. Weather can be cold with the possibility of rain or snow; please have appropriate weather gear. Recommend carry pack to hold gear.
Qualifications and Training
All workshops require prior approval, based on proven skill level. For proper workshop placement, please complete our pre-evaluation or contact us to ensure you are in the best class. If you have not proven or have provided fraudulent details about your experience, we reserve the right to refuse continued instruction, for the safety of all parties, at your own expense.
There are no workshop cancellations. If you cannot make the workshop you registered for, you can move your registration to any other class offered within a calendar year.
Code of Conduct
To ensure the safety of all parties, the Art of Felling Timber has a firm no tolerance policy on unwarranted conduct and unsafe behavior. We ask that students be respectful to the instructors and other students at all times and demonstrate safe operating techniques. In the event that a student demonstrates behaviors that are considered disrespectful or unsafe to another party, consequences include: being asked to take a break for a period of time up to full expulsion, depending on the severity and/or reoccurrence of said behaviors.
The Art of Felling Timber prohibits the use of cameras in-the-field to ensure proper safety measures are followed and to protect trade secrets and other proprietary business information. This includes camera-equipped phones, tablets, hands-free cameras, and other devices. An appointed instructor will be on-site to video and take photos, and we’ll do our very best to capture images and videos of all students attending. Select photography or videography may only be considered on a case-by-case situation, with prior authorization by The Art of Felling Timber, and with the consent of all parties involved.
Prior to the start of your course, we ask that you complete our Indemnity Agreement. Please note that the link above will take you to a fillable PDF that you will need to download to your desktop or laptop, fill out, and email to .